Skip to main content

Britain Vs America: Round 1

Despite basically sharing a language, there are many differences British English and American English. Some of these differences are stealthy like little grammatical ninjas. The only reason I'm aware of some of them is because they've been pointed out as mistakes when I've been certain they’re not. Turns out we’re both sorta right.

It’s good to be aware of these things when critiquing work or when reading what critics have to say about your writing. So here’s yet another list. I hope it helps!

#1 : Mr and Mrs.


British preference is to leave out the full stop after abbreviation of titles where as American preference is to keep them in. Very simple.

But wait - the plot thickens. If the abbreviation ends with the different letter as the full word, a full stop is preferred. Take professor and prof. as an example. That’s why it may feel like there’s a pick and choose situation going on, although I can assure you there isn’t. It all makes perfect sense. It does. ;)

#2: s and z


I thought most writers were aware, but I’ve still had critics tell me realise, harmonise, organise, summarise etc. are errors. They’re not. American English opts for Z where Britain prefers ‘s’. There are loads of alternate spellings, such as for ‘color/colour’ and ‘honor/honour’. Before correcting typos, make sure it’s not just a cultural difference.

#3: Ellipsis – three dots or four?


Ellipsis are used to indicate that part of a sentence has been omitted. This is why I’m vouching for the British preference of only using 3 dots in a row. Ever.

Sometime in American usage, four full stops are used to mark that the ellipsis comes at the end of a sentence. I find this preference a little silly – you’ve used punctuation to indicate how the sentence is incomplete and then used a full stop to say it is complete. Sounds contradictory to me.

I’ll take a deep breath and hum ‘preference’ for that one...

#4: Sneaked and snuck


‘Sneaked’ sounds better to me whereas ‘snuck’ may sound better to any Americans out there. Again, no need to draw out your red pens – it’s a matter of preference.

#5: While and Whilst


Whilst is an older version of the verb ‘while’. Apparently most Americans find ‘whilst’ too old time whereas British writers care a little less. This is the same for ‘among’ and ‘amongst’. Brits don’t care whereas you’d only find it in American writing when an author is trying to give his novel that aged feel.

However, ‘while’ and ‘whilst’ are not always interchangeable (unlike my other example). While can be a verb or a noun. Whilst can only be a verb. ‘For a while’ is the noun form and cannot be written ‘for a whilst’.Remember that, and you’re good to go. Or save a smidgen of brain power and only use ‘while’.


So here are five differences off the top of my head. My preferences are, funnily enough, entirely British. As long as you’re consistent, it really doesn’t matter which you use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant