Skip to main content

Lay or Lie? Arh!

Do you know when to lay and when to lie? Get this right, and you’ll impress an editor. It won’t make your book any more marketable, but you’ll know one thing that most aspiring writers don’t. And no wonder:


To recline:
Lie.
Lay.
Lain.
Lying.
To set down:
Lay.
Laid.
Laid.
Laying.
To tell an untruth:
Lie.
Lied.
Lied.
Lying.


These words are a bit stupid. They overlap so much that most writers will get this wrong. I could go on, showing how easily it is to get in a rut, but I’m not here to confuse. You can probably do that on your own.

First off, learn the present tense forms. One great tip is to ask Lay what? To set something down is transitive, which means you need an object. I lay the book down just as much as I set the book down. If you want to pick her up and lay her body down, that’s also fine. But if you want to be next to her, you need to lie down. If you need a nap, then you lie down.

That might make it look simpler...until you write a sentence and need to decide which term is correct. That’s when the knowledge seems to curdle and separate itself from your brain. So here are several examples of how each word should be used. If you can’t figure it out, then maybe you can match your sentence to one here:

To tell a lie is bad.

To lie on the sofa is lazy.

Did you just lay an egg?

Yes, the egg was laid.

I didn’t lie and I didn’t lay it.

She has lain on the bed for hours.

The clothes were laid on the bed.

She lay down next to her clothes and sighed.

I am not laying the clothes out.

I am lying on the bed.

Kinda sound like a naff poem, but hopefully it helps. If not, there are many others who are desperately trying to explain this mess of tenses. I recommend Grammar Girl’s explanation.

Cheers for reading mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant