Skip to main content

Book Review: Cleo

Cleo by Lucy Coats

3 stars

Recommend:
Fans of ancient Egypt who can persist through a shaky start.

Her precious mother is dead - and it isn't an accident! The young Cleopatra - Pharaoh's illegitimate daughter - must flee the royal palace at Alexandria or die too. 

As her evil half-sisters usurp the throne, Cleo finds sanctuary at the sacred temple of Isis, where years later she becomes initiated into the secret Sisters of the Living Knot. But now Isis's power is failing, Egypt is in danger, and Cleo must prove her loyalty to her goddess by returning to the Alexandria she hates. She must seek out the hidden map which is the key to returning Isis's power - on pain of death. But will she be able to evade her horrible sisters? And will she find dreamy Khai, the über-hot librarian boy she met as she fled Alexandria years before? Cleo's powerful destiny is about to unfold...

~*~


Firstly, I am grateful for the review copy, but it contained missing letter pairs. I’ll try and not let it affect my review.

At the start, I didn’t like it very much. I thought Cleo was a bit of a whiner, the scene was poorly set, and although a lot of Egyptian terms were dropped in here and there, it didn’t feel like the characters were in Egypt. At the start, sometimes the narrative became very general, sweeping over details like a diary extract. The evil sisters also begin rather one dimensional, ‘bad because they’re evil and want to rule’ and might as well have been the same person.

It got better. The plot spices up. Cleo is under constant threat and those closest to her are far from safe. Her relationship with Charm, her slave, also made me warm up to her over time. Even the one dimensional badies developed a little and started to separate out. And without the setting jumping around so much, the Egyptian charm came through.

Most of all, I felt that Cleo grew as a character. She stops asking ‘why’ and starts taking action. The scenes where she faces her sisters in political power struggles were among my favourite in the book, as we got to see Cleo take a few risks and stand up against evil. Some parts reminded me of the House of Night series, especially when Cleo asks for her goddess, Isis, to help in times of need. I hope that as the series goes on, Cleo will depends less and less on her Goddess and will learn to just act her will.

There’s something about the writing that feels very weak in places. Even for a review copy, there was a lot of word repetition, (for example, prostrate, soft, and fingers drove me insane), and yet other times Coats displays originality and flare.

My main issue was that, whilst a lot of the descriptions are colourful and creative, not much care has been put into the setting. This is an Egyptian tale and I wanted to feel like I was in the middle of a great Egyptian palace, and it just didn’t feel like that. However, it's clear that the author knows her stuff, and I enjoyed the references to the gods and symbolism. The info in the back was great to sift through, and I'm glad it was extra detail rather than necessary information needed in order to understand the story.

For a début author, this is alright. Not bad. The thought of hearing about teen Cleopatra is such a great concept that it might have set up false expectations of the book. I still enjoyed it.

Source: NetGalley.com
Available: May

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant