Skip to main content

Book Review: Seeker

SEEKER by Arwen Elys Dayton
2 Stars
Verdict: If you don’t mind a long, slow pace, and quite confusing novel with a good ending.


Quin Kincaid has been put through years of brutal training for what she thinks is the noble purpose of becoming a revered ‘Seeker’.

Only when it’s too late does she discover she will be using her new-found knowledge and training to become an assassin. Quin's new role will take her around the globe, from a remote estate in Scotland to a bustling, futuristic Hong Kong where the past she thought she had escaped will finally catch up with her.


~*~

At first I thought it was brilliant but slow. Soon I felt it was a bit naff and slow. The ending picked up, but I’m glad it’s over. I can finally write my review and be done with it.

Firstly, I have a bone to pick that has nothing to do with the author:

‘A new YA fantasy thriller perfect for fans of Mortal Instruments and the Hunger Games series.’

Damn. I fell for marketing again. This is NOTHING like either of those series. That line drops in two well loved books and crosses its fingers that all readers will love this too. No. Bad, marketers!

So what is this book actually like? Um...Erm... I haven’t figured that out yet.

I was originally hooked in by the creativity of the concepts. I loved everything about the Whipsword. The athames were well thought out, even though I don’t really get why the characters valued them above the lives of loved ones. The Seekers intrigued me to start with so much so that I was ready to write a review for a five star novel. The longer I read, the more the rating dropped. The author made some choices that, in my opinion, were detrimental to the novel.

When Quin experiences what a Seeker is, the narrative jumps past what actually happens so that we only see how she reacts. The blurb explains she’s an assassin. It’s not a twist. I can’t understand why the author would go to such lengths to hide what the Seekers actually do. I felt like I missed out on an epic scene and was supposed to go back to being curious... except I wasn’t waiting for answers – it’s in the blurb. The mystery was constantly discussed and never defined, which felt like a bit of a drag.

Quinn became a germaphobe at one point. That was a bit weird and short lived...

I’m still not sure when it was set. At first I thought medieval Scotland, until a car pulled up. The floating ship over London hinted to a dystopian theme, yet the horseback riding, acupuncture, and lack of technology in general made me think this can’t be the future. Then in Hong Kong a phone is mentioned and guns become a thing. I didn’t know what to picture, and jumping around so much didn’t help. It felt like high fantasy characters living in a slight variation to our time. The two didn’t come together.

A lot of punches were thrown that I didn’t see coming. So that was odd...

The characters were interesting. The boys didn’t seem to have a very good idea of love, which I actually found quite intriguing although I’m not sure if that was intentional. The love triangle is stated from the start, but I never saw any of the characters act out of love. I stopped rooting for the guys and just wanted Quin to be happy. But the book was pretty miserable. It reads like the aftermath to something horrid, except we never really learn what that something is.

The writing was just a bit too bland for my tastes as well. It was free from metaphors and imagery, and heavy on the proper nouns. Jon did this. Quin did that. Sufficient but dull. It didn’t help the pace.

I didn’t feel like I got much out of it consider the time I put into reading this rather long novel. The narrative was just too distant. The meat of the novel was kept vague. I’m upset that I can’t be more positive, but a good concept doesn’t always seal a book’s fate.

Source: NetGalley.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant