Skip to main content

Style Manual - Any burning questions?

Today is a good day for the editor in me. It is the day my style manual has arrived.

As I am hoping to start freelance editing and working in a publishing environment soon, this book will become my bible. Should you use a comma there? Let me go grab my style manual and settle this. Google will thank me for the load I am about to take off it.

I have chosen the New Oxford Style Manual published in 2012. Nice and up to date as well as originating from my home county.

Here’s the big question – do you have a question?




It can be anything related to writing. If it’s to do with grammar, punctuation, formatting a book (self-publishing), or about the publishing process then I’ll get to use my new manual (as well as search the depths of the internet)! If it’s something more subjective then it might be a future writing tip, so still ask away.

You can post here. You can contact me on figment, wattpad,or authonomy. This will be open for as long as I blog. I want to write useful articles which will give you tools to polish up your novel. So let me know which tools you don’t have and I’ll see if I can help with that.

Cheers!

Comments

  1. What are your opinions on said versus other dialogue verbs? I've heard from a few places that said should be used in the majority, or even totally, because it's a word that becomes invisible to the reader. Is there any evidence on that (I'm kind of interested in the psychology of language)?

    I can see the need to use dialogue verbs and modifiers sensibly (no silly ones like vocalize, and no whisper softly or scream loudly), but that really goes for anything. It just seems odd to want to cut out a chunk of words from a book's vocabulary outright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting question. I definitely have an opinion but I'll do some more research into this to give you the best answer I can.

    Cheers for the question!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...