Skip to main content

Commas before 'Such as'

Removing unnecessary commas can really ease the flow of your writing. I’ve recently come across a really easy one to spot and fix and, once you know it, your writing will only become smoother.

Today’s example sentence is taken from a novel I am editing for a really talented author. Have a little read:

He found that studying left little room for other thoughts, such as childish dreams and desires.

The comma before ‘such as’ is unnecessary and interrupts the flow. Here’s how it reads without:

He found that studying left little room for other thoughts such as childish dreams and desires.

You’ve probably noticed how taking out the comma almost makes no difference at all, but you have to remember the bigger picture. Tweaks like this one are not what will get you noticed by publishers, but if you care about the little tweaks then chances are your writing will be a lot smoother than other contenders.

To take this a step further, there are two ways in which a comma would be appropriate. The first is if we turn ‘such as childish dreams and desires’ into a subordinate clause which adds examples or modifiers to bring colour to the sentence:

He found that studying left little room for other thoughts, such as childish dreams and desires, which helped him stay positive.

Lastly, using the phrase ‘for example’ warrants commas. It practically means the same thing although possibly more appropriate for a report rather than a novel.

He found that studying left little room for other thoughts, for example, childish dreams and desires.

The gist of this is you don’t need a comma before ‘such as’ unless you’ve interrupted the sentence with your examples.

Comments

  1. Hope you had a good Christmas and new year! I've been looking forward to your next update :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right about not having extra commas, but when reviewing I actually find that people tend to use too few commas rather than too many. For example, up there I could've had an extra comma after 'reviewing', and while most people know to omit it, in long sentences commas help break up the pace a little and even the not required-by-grammar-law ones can help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there. Most writers tend to not use enough. The real problem is using them in the right place, and that's why I'm planning a fair few articles around commas.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...