Skip to main content

SP Book Review: Frostbitten

FROSTBITTEN by Heather Beck
4 stars
Verdict: If you can get into it, you won’t want to put it down.


Great beauty hides dark secrets... 

Seventeen-year-old Anastasia Lockhart has never led an easy life, but when she starts getting into serious trouble, she’s sent to live with her grandparents in Cedar Falls. The small, picturesque town hasn’t changed since she visited four years ago, with one exception – the presence of a handsome, mysterious boy named Frost. Despite warnings from her grandparents and friends to stay away from Frost, Anastasia can’t deny their attraction, and the more time they spend together, the deeper in love they fall. Unfortunately, Frost has a secret that is beyond Anastasia’s wildest imagination, and she soon finds herself in the midst of a supernatural legend that has haunted Cedar Falls for years.

Can Anastasia and Frost’s love really overcome anything, or are their fates much darker?


~*~

The Rating Breakdown

Enjoyment: 3 Lots of brilliant sections. Uneven pace. 

Writing Style: 3 Exposition, passive voice etc.

Plot: 4 Excellent twists, but could shuffle things around to improve pace and flow. 

World & Concepts: 5 Clear, well-defined. 

Characters: 5 A good mix, well-defined, relatable. 

Finish: 5 Beautiful cover. No typos. 

Strengths: Excellent climax. 

Weakness: Writing style tells more than shows.

~*~

Anastasia is a good mix of relatable, strong, and likeable, with a slight rude streak but mostly a kind heart. Frost fulfils the typical mysterious, angry, protective love interest. They’re drawn to each other, but their love is forbidden... I think we both know what book this resembles.

It was the writing style that really got to me. Lots of exposition, and yet lots of missing details. So much of it could be improved just by showing rather than telling.

For example, the book starts by explaining why Anastasia's life is out of hand and she must live with her grandparents. It would have been so easy to start the book with Anastasia arrested for reckless behaviour, followed by an argument with her mother that results in sending her away. Readers would then get to see the Anastasia from beforehand, as well as actually meet the mother we hear so much about. Instead, we’re told it happened, and it’s just not the same.

I thought this a few times throughout the book, which is why I ended up reading it very s-l-o-w-l-y. I was enjoying it, yet I kept putting it down.

But I did keep picking it back up. What exactly was Frost up to? Why does Kate dislike him so much? How can Anastasia stop the villagers? It took me a while to get through the whole book, yet I couldn’t put it aside forever. I had to know what was going on.

Around three quarters of the way through, Anastasia and Frost run away together, and the book really kicks off. Countless twists, actions scenes, and emotionally fuelled revelations. The story grabbed me in its clutches where it previously had not.

It’s quite clear that this is book one of a series. There’s a slight hook at the end, but don’t worry, no cliff hanger. I’m not sure if I’ll read book 2, but book 1 was an enjoyable read overall.

Source: From author for a buddy read scheme.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...