Skip to main content

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan
4 Stars
Verdict: A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss.


When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing.

For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family.

To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away depression, just show it for the illness it is.

Leigh is Taiwanese-American, although she starts off knowing very little about her Asian heritage.  I'm a huge fan of East Asian culture, so I really enjoyed learning about Taiwan. It adds something to the novel that a book set solely in American could not.

I found the relationships in this book more relatable than most: the dissonance of wanting her dad home, but also looking forward to a night without parents so she can be creative; the liking someone, and someone liking you, and yet how impossible it is to talk about it; an argument one moment, the next moment like it never happened. I think this is a testament to how well crafted the characters are throughout the whole story.

It's not quite a five star book for me. Despite the fantastic writing and wonderful setting, the plot just didn't excite me at any point. It didn't have that insatiability factor to keep me reading, and the twists weren't too shocking. It felt like a gentle, long exploration of Taiwan and a teenager's memories. I liked all of the book, but I didn't fall in love this time.

That said, I'm glad I read it. The prose is beautifully crafted, and as a writer, I feel I've learned a lot about colour and emotions.

Source: From the publishers via NetGalley.com.

Comments

  1. You had me googling synesthesiastic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a beautiful story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book definitely has me intrigued. I'll have to add it to the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of the book before now. Great review. Looks and sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a beautiful story and the cover is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, this is the first time I have heard or seen this book and it looks and sounds like an beautiful and emotional book. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...