Skip to main content

Book Review: The Death Cure

THE DEATH CURE by James Dashner
3 stars
Verdict: Well, that didn’t answer anything.
#1 - The Maze Runner
#2 - The Scorch Trials


The Trials are over, supposedly. It’s time for Thomas to get his memories back, and help Wicked with the final stage of their cure.

Oh, Maze Runner. You absolute tease.

I’ll try my best to describe the reading experience without any spoilers, so basically I’ll keep it vague and hope you know what I’m talking about.

The whole book is basically a delay in getting any real answers to the mountain of questions posed thus far. Motives are swept under the rug, specifics are ignored, and the events that could have provided answers were sidestepped around.

And then it ends on a clichĂ© which doesn’t feel satisfying at all.

Despite all that, it’s still entertaining. It still has its good moments, and unexpected twists, making it easy to sit and read for hours at a time.

Then again, the entertaining parts are also frustrating. There’s so much action, so much fight in this book...but I started to lose interest because I rarely felt rewarded with the plot progression I craved. I didn’t want a crank to jump on the car and steal the story's attention for a moment. I didn’t want more deaths of unnamed characters. I wanted a conversation with answers or a mind-snapping event to occur so that the plot would finally make sense, but the story just didn’t seem to slot into place. Instead, it threw a new load of questions into the mix, spliced in lots of action, and in the end, the plot was left to fend for itself.

As I approached the end pages, I realised there were not enough words left to complete the story itself. This was book three of a pretty mysterious and intriguing plot, and I was so sure the wait would be worth it. There had to be a really good reason for all everything going on. But just like book one, the ending isn’t satisfying.

How does human emotions link to a cure? What was the point of the telepathy, because it didn’t seem to have a role past book 1? What was Thomas’ true feelings about you-know-who, (because killing off a character doesn’t resolve anything)? Why were the grievers made? Why not humane deaths, or even just alluding to the perception of deaths (because neuroscientists know that perception is reality, so if WICKED is interested in brain patterns, all they need to do is create illusions which would be easier, quicker, less wasteful, and more humane)? Why? Why? Why?

It’s a fast-paced book in some regards, but it wasn’t the book three this series needed.

Source: Bought it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...