Skip to main content

Book Review: Girls of Paper and Fire

GIRLS OF PAPER AND FIRE #1 by Natasha Ngan 
4 Stars
Verdict: A beautiful and difficult tale.

With a book like this, I think it’s important to point out that it’s not for everyone. It explores the theme of sexual abuse in a way that’s unavoidable, unskippable. The scenes aren’t graphic, but the emotion is, or at least it felt like that to me. Please bare that in mind before reading.

Lei is part of the Paper cast, meaning she’s human from head to toe, unlike the power and magical chimera-like casts that are afforded the better status in Ikhara. She’s taken from her small village and made into one of the chosen eight concubines of the bull king. Unlike the other concubines, Lei refuses to submit to the 'honour' of being a Paper girl.

When I heard this was a fantasy novel inspired by Asian culture, I had to have it. Asian mythology has inspired my own writing, so I couldn't wait to sink into this tale, and the world building definitely delivered. The premise is dark, yes, but it's real and raw and honest. Some parts were difficult to read, but I felt the author was respectful of the many different ways abuse can affect a person.

To me, Lei was the perfect lead for this story. We all know we'd struggle in a situation like Lei's, and many would be too scared to do anything about it, and so it's cathartic to read about someone who risks it all to stand up for themselves, even though it’s not the smartest thing to do.

The best thing about this book is the imagery. The language is both beautiful and haunting. There are plenty of lines to gush over, while others cut to the core. I would definitely read another book by this author for the writing alone.

My only quibble was the pace. It set off like a firework, one of those ones that shoots up high and then nothing; it does not bang. The plot seemed to get stuck in a queue where I always knew what was going to happen a few chapters later, and that made it frustrating to read at times. However, the plot tumbles and dives, rises and twists, so although there was an element of predictability, there was enough going on to keep me going on.

Okay, another slight nugget of criticism was that I struggled to squeeze any personality from our second leading lady, Wren. I knew her story but not her, and while Lei's emotions were like suns burning in the sky, Wren was more like a spoon: useful…but not much else to say there. Part of the problem was there were a lot of characters, and I felt more intrigued by Aoki’s Stockholm-esk syndrome, Blue’s family struggles, and Madam Himura’s past as a Paper girl. I know eight is a lucky number in some Asian cultures, but it was a bit ambitious to squeeze in that many characters, and it was hard to feel attached to anyone but Lei.

So would I read book 2? Maybe. I'm more in love with the author's writing and inspirations than this particular story.

Source: With thanks to the publishers via NetGalley.com. 

Comments

  1. Very nice critique! Informed and insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the pacing wasn't that great. It sounds like a really intense read, I kind of love books like that.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to love about this book. I'd still recommend it highly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...