Skip to main content

Book Review: The Red Queen

THE RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard 
5 Stars 
Verdict: Depth of epic fantasy, speed of YA.


The silver blooded are gifted, magical, and prideful. The red blooded are nothing in comparison – well, except hard workers sent to die in a war that won’t bring them any power.
Mare is a skilled thief. It’s the only way she can help her poor, red-blooded family, even though they are uncomfortable with her ways.
This book is all about power in society – what the many can do... What the few can destroy.

Mare’s outlook starts off grim. I felt sorry for her being cast in her sister’s shadow. She clearly cared for her family and tried to do what she thought was best at the time. Unfortunately, her well meaning decisions tend to have disastrous consequences.

Each chapter curves the story in a new direction. It starts fast and doesn’t hang around - just the way I love it.

THE RED QUEEN had the potential depth of epic fantasy with the speed of young adult. I rarely say this, but the book could be longer: the details of the world could be richer, and the character could have been fleshed out more, and the story could have used more of what it set up. I almost felt like a lot of the side plots were glanced over, but at the same time, I knew the author has all the answers, just not the space to write it in. With the pace, there just wasn’t room.

Romance isn’t the centre of Mare’s unfair world - it's vital to the story, yet not overpowering. Mare made some stupid mistakes, but in the end I realised I was rooting for her. Not any of the guys – just her and what she wanted.

The only thing I didn’t like about the book was the names. Mare, Mareen, and Maven – oh my. And Grey Town... because it’s a grey town. This hardly detracts from how awesome this book is. It’s just an observation really.

When the good guys are also the bad guys, it’s really hard to pick sides. If you like the way moral-grey makes you think, then this could be the book for you.

Source: Bought the ebook, and loved it enough to buy the paperback!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...