Skip to main content

Indie Book Review: The Child of Chaos

THE CHILD OF CHAOS by Glen Dahlgren

5 Stars

Verdict: A gritty and original fantasy based around Order and Chaos. 

Galen has a wild imagination and doesn't want to end up a fisherman like his father. However, he doesn't seem to possess the 'longing' needed to belong to a temple and perform magic. Instead he has a different pull, one that might be responsible for his mother going missing. What's more is his bully, Horace, has the same longing and will go to extreme lengths to be first to find the cause of it. 

I really enjoyed reading this book from start to finish.  

Galen is a typical hero who's brave and has a good moral compass. He doesn't quite fit in with the labels his world forces on him, and there's something calling him to adventure out into the world, possibly to go missing forever like his mother. 

My favourite thing about this book was Horace. He's a young yet ruthless villain, a fast thinker, clever, brutal - and damaged. He's haunted by his own bully, which has led Horace down a dark path. No character was safe around Horace, and I couldn't wait to learn more about his motives and the lengths he'd go to get what he wants. The stakes were always so high. I hate to do comparisons to super popular books, but there really was a Game of Thrones quality where I didn't know who would make it to the end. I worried about everyone. 

My only criticism is to do with the categorisation of the book, not the book itself. I would say it has strong middle grade themes of friendship, a first crush, and standing up to bullies, yet it contains adult content of murder, torture, animal abuse, half-naked man slaves, and generally a lot of gruesome deaths. All of it fits the world building perfectly, but it does make it perhaps a little too dark for younger readers. The author has placed it as young adult, but it's a compromise that doesn't quite match the themes or the content... Whatever the category, I think transparency is the most important thing here and if any of the content words are triggers for you, then it's not the book for you. However, as an adult who mainly enjoys young adult books, I loved this even if it doesn't fit the conventional categories. 

What you have here, is an original fantasy world and a story which taps into tween themes. It's worth knowing this in order to understand what to expect from this book, but don't be put off. If you're looking for a fast-paced magical adventure in a unique world with a well-fleshed out villain, look no further. 

All in all, I found this a fascinating read, and I would definitely read another book by the author.

Source: Thanks to the author for providing an e-book copy. 

You can watch the video review here: https://youtu.be/5LmEMxQOTRQ

Buy the book and support the blog: https://amzn.to/2LiXUwI

Comments

  1. Great review. I agree about the category. Sounds like it's not really for younger readers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...