Skip to main content

Show Vs. Tell: Round 1

Hands up if a critic has told you ‘show don’t tell’ (SDT). Keep that hand up if you found it rather unhelpful at the time or if that critic didn’t elaborate much. Yes, it’s a pesky phrase. Showing rather than telling can be a pretty powerful tool, and here's what it really means:

Showing brings your words to life, creates imagery, and lets the reader know exactly what’s going on. It doesn’t tell you facts explicitly, but builds an idea in your head so that usually you understand it in far more detail than you would have. Good writing makes you realise a fact without being told it straight.

As a writer it forces you to explore your imagination further really think about your story and your characters. It adds depth.

*But showing is not always better than telling.*

Telling adds pace. It moves the story along and sums up ideas that may be unclear if let to just showing. It doesn’t try to add detail to a relatively boring fact. It lets you know what piece of information is important and avoids using dialogue in an awkward manner.

It’s a useful tool for when the imagery isn’t particularly important. A story that builds up detail into every sentence can be tedious to picture and can feel irrelevant sometimes.

Use telling wisely. Too much of it and your story will fall flat. The reader might not be able to picture your scene. They might fill in the blanks with their imagination which could later clash with yours.

A good story has a balance between the two. SDT is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot and it should be, but it often happens for the wrong reasons. In my next few articles I will delve a little deeper, explaining how and when to use it, and how to tweak your story if you keep getting SDTs.

Comments

  1. I plead guilty to saying SDT in reviews, although I do try to give more specific guidelines. I agree, tell is as useful as show. I found this article that has a lovely bit of 'telling': http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.hk/2013/07/telling-it-well.html It's well worth taking a look at.

    Another useful post, and strikes right at the root of the problem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Another great article.
      Yes, telling can sometimes be a lot more powerful, humorous, quirky, and interesting. Showing is very important too, but it's not the only thing a writer should do.

      Delete
  2. Something I seen people tell my to change in my work is when a character is telling the reader about something. I think this is a different thing to the author telling the audience, because you are showing the character's opinions on that person or thing (and they might well be different to what I as the omniscient author would say.)

    In general I prefer to be shown characters and told about worlds. Trying to to show to much in world_building can slow it down, as you say, can feel wrong in certain genres like hard scifi and can also lead to some very unnatural conversations between characters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...