Skip to main content

Book Review: The Bear and the Nightingale

THE BEAR AND THE NIGHTINGALE by Katherine Arden
3 Stars
Verdict: Not for me.


Vasilisa grows up at the edge of the Russian wilderness, surrounded by the love of her siblings. She has a wild spirit that cannot be tamed for any suitor or convent, and finds she is able to see and protect the spirits that in turn protect her home. However, her stepmother fears them, and when the winter becomes harsh, and the Vasilisa is blamed. She must fight the cold, her stepmother, and be brave in the face of the demons to protect her home and the ones she loves.

I think the author has gone to great lengths to make this book feel authentic. The Russian names and words were a lot to take in, so I was glad to be reading the kindle version for quick definitions. After a while, it's fairly easy to adapt to, and the language equates to strong 'feel' of medieval winters in the heart of Russia.

Still, the prose felt hampered down with extraneous details, and the story in general was dreadfully slow. It took it's sweet time before anything truly magical happened, and even then, it felt more like a tale of madness than one of magic. The deep religious roots also anchors the story to a theme I'm not particularly interested in. I could see early on this wasn't the book for me.

I started to enjoy this book towards the end, but it was mostly a test of persistence. The timeline often flew by in chunks, and I struggled to get the point of the story as a whole. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of stories that skip wildly ahead, missing out the choices, the stories between, and the context of how their lives ended up where there are now. It lacked intensity for me, which was only regained in the last section.

Many have said this book is similar to Uprooted, another book I only partly enjoyed. I didn't find much similarity between the two books, apart from the Eastern-European setting, but everything I didn't like about Uprooted was stronger in The Bear and the Nightingale. The slow pace, the heavy prose, the distance from the characters. Although I got bored of Uprooted, I found more to love in it, and where Uprooted felt lyrical and beautiful, this book just felt heavy.

All I can say is that I enjoyed parts, but I was mostly bored. I'm really sad that I couldn't get out of it that everyone else seems to be able to so easily. It's a well loved book by most of the rest of the reading community, so worth a spin if nothing I've said has put you off.

Source: Bought it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...