Skip to main content

Welcome to 2018

2017 been a ride and a half, for me, anyway.

The year started with brilliant news. One of my clients emailed to say that he had managed to snag a publishing deal - check him out here. I was elated for him, and since then, he’s had success after success. His story of darkness even had honourable mentions in the Rainbow Awards. It's fantastic news for a fantastic writer.

Me on the other hand? My writing had to take a backseat. Turns out buying a house and progressing your career mops up all your free time and leaves you too dry to churn out a story.

It was worth it though. My life slotted into place in the first week of December. I finally moved into my first house with my boyfriend of seven years. To celebrate, he cooked a lovely meal, broke a cupboard, and proposed. Two days later, I was offered a new job as an editorial assistant. That's going to be a tough week to top!

So yeah, been a bit too busy for writing. So busy in fact, I had to read eight books in the last three weeks of December to complete my reading challenge. Prepare to read reviews for Coraline, Genuine Fraud, A Torch Against the Night, A Monster Calls, The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly, Count the Stars, Six of Crow and Uprooted. I still see words in my sleep.

This year, I'll focus on my writing again. I already have a great story drafted and edited, then professionally edited, and edited a bit more - it just needs some TLC before submitting to agents.

Last year was my year for life, so this year could be my year for writing! But I've said this before, and nothing has come of it so far.

I'll just have to keep hoping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...