Skip to main content

Book Review: Nightbird

NIGHTBIRD by Alice Hoffman
4 Stars
Verdict: For a smooth Sunday afternoon.


Twig lives in a remote area of town with her mysterious brother and her mother, baker of irresistible apple pies. A new girl in town might just be Twig's first true friend, and ally in vanquishing an ancient family curse. A spellbinding tale of modern folklore set in the Berkshires, where rumours of a winged beast draw in as much tourism as the town's famed apple orchards.

The reason why I thought Sunday afternoon is because it’s a light and nice way to end your week before Monday comes and drags you from your bed. It’s a book that made me feel happy, and that’s not what I’m  usually drawn to in a novel...

And isn’t it refreshing to read a story mainly about friendship and sibling love, rather than romance?

While it’s middle grade, I found it akin to Peace and Conflict by Irene Sabatini – a book anyone could enjoy. A child narrator doesn’t necessarily limit the novel to a child audience, and this didn’t strike me as a young person’s book. It has a young voice and a nice lack of swearing and adult behaviour, but it’s certainly not a simple or dull or immature story. Its family fun rather than a kid’s novel.

In fact, it’s imaginative and charming. I noticed it was described as modern folklore which I didn’t realise was a thing. But now they mention it, yes. That’s the perfect way to describe it.

I do have a minor quibble. I wanted to connect more with James and Agate, who were the older siblings of our main character and her new best friend. The couple are a big part of the story, but not the narrative, if that makes sense. We hear a lot about them, yet we spend very little time with them. Maybe the story isn’t about them really, but I know the ending would have been a tear-jerker if I had felt a little more for James. I just didn’t know him well enough.

A few events didn’t happen the way I expected. This was mostly great and kept the story at a brisk pace, but sometimes it felt anticlimactic. When Agate first meets James, we assume she realises something extraordinary, but we don’t see how she deals with it. After that moment, everyone seems okay with such an oddity. Another reveal also took me so off-guard I didn’t know whether it was brilliant or terrible. I still haven’t decided.

In truth, you could probably write a book about what’s not included in this story. And I would read it. I’d love to read James’ point of view of the whole scenario. After all, a book has a limit to what it can include, and this one in particular had a subtle way of building the novel.

But I wasn’t blown away either, which is why my review is rather short. I enjoyed the ride and I felt happier after reading it, but it won’t be going on my favourite novel list and I don’t feel particularly inspired by it either. It’s just quite nice, like a piece of apple pie.

Source: NetGalley.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...