Skip to main content

Book Review: Seeker

SEEKER by Arwen Elys Dayton
2 Stars
Verdict: If you don’t mind a long, slow pace, and quite confusing novel with a good ending.


Quin Kincaid has been put through years of brutal training for what she thinks is the noble purpose of becoming a revered ‘Seeker’.

Only when it’s too late does she discover she will be using her new-found knowledge and training to become an assassin. Quin's new role will take her around the globe, from a remote estate in Scotland to a bustling, futuristic Hong Kong where the past she thought she had escaped will finally catch up with her.


~*~

At first I thought it was brilliant but slow. Soon I felt it was a bit naff and slow. The ending picked up, but I’m glad it’s over. I can finally write my review and be done with it.

Firstly, I have a bone to pick that has nothing to do with the author:

‘A new YA fantasy thriller perfect for fans of Mortal Instruments and the Hunger Games series.’

Damn. I fell for marketing again. This is NOTHING like either of those series. That line drops in two well loved books and crosses its fingers that all readers will love this too. No. Bad, marketers!

So what is this book actually like? Um...Erm... I haven’t figured that out yet.

I was originally hooked in by the creativity of the concepts. I loved everything about the Whipsword. The athames were well thought out, even though I don’t really get why the characters valued them above the lives of loved ones. The Seekers intrigued me to start with so much so that I was ready to write a review for a five star novel. The longer I read, the more the rating dropped. The author made some choices that, in my opinion, were detrimental to the novel.

When Quin experiences what a Seeker is, the narrative jumps past what actually happens so that we only see how she reacts. The blurb explains she’s an assassin. It’s not a twist. I can’t understand why the author would go to such lengths to hide what the Seekers actually do. I felt like I missed out on an epic scene and was supposed to go back to being curious... except I wasn’t waiting for answers – it’s in the blurb. The mystery was constantly discussed and never defined, which felt like a bit of a drag.

Quinn became a germaphobe at one point. That was a bit weird and short lived...

I’m still not sure when it was set. At first I thought medieval Scotland, until a car pulled up. The floating ship over London hinted to a dystopian theme, yet the horseback riding, acupuncture, and lack of technology in general made me think this can’t be the future. Then in Hong Kong a phone is mentioned and guns become a thing. I didn’t know what to picture, and jumping around so much didn’t help. It felt like high fantasy characters living in a slight variation to our time. The two didn’t come together.

A lot of punches were thrown that I didn’t see coming. So that was odd...

The characters were interesting. The boys didn’t seem to have a very good idea of love, which I actually found quite intriguing although I’m not sure if that was intentional. The love triangle is stated from the start, but I never saw any of the characters act out of love. I stopped rooting for the guys and just wanted Quin to be happy. But the book was pretty miserable. It reads like the aftermath to something horrid, except we never really learn what that something is.

The writing was just a bit too bland for my tastes as well. It was free from metaphors and imagery, and heavy on the proper nouns. Jon did this. Quin did that. Sufficient but dull. It didn’t help the pace.

I didn’t feel like I got much out of it consider the time I put into reading this rather long novel. The narrative was just too distant. The meat of the novel was kept vague. I’m upset that I can’t be more positive, but a good concept doesn’t always seal a book’s fate.

Source: NetGalley.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...