Skip to main content

Hidden Gem Awards: Top 5

Without delay, here are my top 5. I'll spend the next month reading each of your books before choosing a winner,

1)  Bloodline by Tara Ellis



By far the easiest choice. From chapter one, we have engaging, strong writing and a story that felt effortless. I want to know what will happen next, and I'm already attached to some of the characters. On to the next round!


2) The Scary Girls by J.D. Kaplan



A few lines in this made me chuckle. I love the narrator - why wouldn't I want to read on? It begins with two intriguing characters and a prose I could slip into. Another very easy choice.


3) Broken Dolls by B.R. Kingsolver


An interesting concept carried by a flawless prose. The ingenious use of asterisks to mark the telepathy made it clear and easy to follow. I'm very excited about this one!


4) Chains of Prophecy by Jason P. Crawford


The opening scene reminded me of Supernatural, and now I want to read on just to find out what was going on. There's a bit of awkwardness in the prose to start off with, but once it started to flow I didn't want to stop.


5) A Time Apart by Rebecca N. Caudill



There's something quirky about the prose that kept me reading. Not much has happened yet, but I'm still curious to read on. I found it easy to relate to the main character.


As I've only read the opening few chapters of each entry, I've had to be critical. I was looking for an engaging prose, clean writing, and signs of an intriguing main plot already unfolding.

If you didn't make it to the list, feel free to contact me and ask why. I'm more than happy to explain how I felt about your book and any issues I had with it as well as what I liked. There were a few that I struggled to part with. In particular, War of Destiny: Lost Soul by Theresa Van Spankeren is going on my reading list.


Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...