Skip to main content

SP Book Review: Girl of the Book

GIRL OF THE BOOK by Princila Murrell
3 Stars
Verdict:
 For young children moving from a Western lifestyle to an Eastern.


Twelve year old Courtney Parker is devastated to have to leave her friends and South Africa behind when her father accepts a lucrative contract and the family relocate to Saudi Arabia.

Jeddah feels like a different planet to Johannesburg. In spite of her initial reluctance to venture out of the comfort and security of their new home, she quickly forms friendships with Nizar Bukhari and Lana Alahmadi. However, not everyone is happy with the situation.

Courtney must learn to adapt to an alien, seemingly unforgiving culture and stand up to the bullies that are making her school life hell.

Nizar and Lana must both try to overcome their family prejudices in order for their friendship with Courtney to survive. Will they succeed? Will they be able to set aside their differences? Can they bridge the cultural divide?


~*~

The Rating Breakdown 

Enjoyment: 3  A quick read, but I wanted more plot.

Writing Style: 3  Clear and easy to read, but sometimes a little bland. 

Plot: 1  Situations where things are learned rather than a plot.

World & Concepts: 4  I learned a lot about the culture, but wanted to see more of Saudi Arabia.

Characters: 4   Main character is likeable, although I thought she was younger than stated.

Finish: 4   Reads flawlessly. I’m not a fan of the cover art but the pictures inside were a nice touch. 

Strengths: I enjoyed learning about a Muslim culture from multiple perspectives. 

Weakness: Very niche audience. 

~*~

This is a bit of a young novel for me. The middle grade novels I tend to review have more of an ageless quality, like Disney films and (when no one’s looking) Adventure Time. This didn't have the same appeal for me personally, although it will probably appeal well to young children moving from a Western environment to an Eastern who feel a bit anxious.

Usually when a book is written with the intentions of teaching, the author to sacrifice the plot and entertainment factor in aide of learning. This book is no different. It’s short and easy to get through but I wouldn’t recommend it to the average reader.

The main character is twelve year old Courtney, although she sounds a lot younger than twelve. She’s a white girl who has to move to a school in Saudi Arabia and needs to adapt to the new culture, although we get to see snippets of others' perspectives which give a balanced view of Muslim life.

The voice is young and simple. It’s mainly narrated by a typical young girl with an annoying younger brother and a reluctant attitude to uprooting her life. I could sympathise, but I couldn’t relate. Young children might love the characterisation, but it’s not written in a way that grabs the older audience. It’s a bit too simple, missing out on that ‘spark’ factor.

I found it was often closer to non-fiction than fiction. Courtney discovered more about a world which is out of her comfort zone in a series of episodic events. I enjoyed leaning through Courtney as I only knew a little bit more than she did about the culture, but when each situation only lasted a page or two, I needed something more: I wanted an overarching plot that would bring the ideas together to form some sort of peak with a resolution towards the end.

There was no grand plot. The conflict included reluctance to be there and a few difficult classmates, but the character rarely acted on these things. The whole book is very passive. The characters experience life without being able to act on it, and have mundane kid experiences. The stakes? None. Action? None. Climax and resolution? Minimal. No mystery, no suspense. Don’t get me wrong, there were a few great scenes, but there wasn’t a clear middle and end - nothing that makes the story cohesive. A bit of a plot started to develop within the last few pages, but it was resolved quickly. That section was more like an extended episode.

If you know someone who’s moving to a Muslim country and has small children, this would be a great book to recommend them. Or maybe this would work well in schools to help children learn about other cultures. I can see it being very useful, but it's more of a teaching tool than a book for entertainment.

Source: Copy provided by author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone

CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi 5 Stars Verdict: So good it hurts. The night magic died, Zélie watched her mother's murder as the Maji were slaughtered. Now Zélie has a chance to bring back magic. With the help of her brother and a rogue princess, she must outrun the crown prince and battle her self-doubts to restore magic to the world. This West-African inspired fantasy is powerful and all round awesome from start to finish. The writing is emotive and imaginative, the pacing is as perfect as it gets, and the characters are real with flaws and charm. I hardly know what to say. A brilliant book like this tells the editor in me to shut up and enjoy the ride, so I'd need to read it again to offer more of a critique. If every book was as good as this one, I would never be able to stop reading. The struggles, anger, and pain are carved into this book so deeply that the desires bleed through the pages and the triumphs feel earned. The emotion in this book is ...

Book Review: The Astonishing Colour of After

THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER by Emily X.R. Pan 4 Stars Verdict : A synesthesiastic tale of dealing with loss. When Leigh's mother commits suicide, she visits Leigh as a bright red bird. Leigh follows her mother's memories to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and to try to understand her mother's passing. For a book so sad, it's very colourful. Leigh often shares her emotions as colours and it works very well, especially as the book travels through a whole river of emotions. It shows a battle lost, families broken, and the dark struggles of depression through the lives of Leigh and her family. To anyone affected by depression and suicide, this book contains those triggers. I felt it handled these themes with tender care and respect, without glamorising suicide or mental illness. The author also went to great lengths to portray a single instance of depression, and even clarifies at the end note that the story isn't mean to explain away d...

Book Review: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao 5 Stars Verdict: Rich, gradual, and gory. Xiefeng is destined to be Empress of Feng Lu, but only if she lets the darkness guide her... I’ll admit, I can only read one high fantasy story a year and it has to really stand out. In this case, the East-Asia mythology aspect of this one drew me in within an instant. The darkness of the story, the unconventional twists in the relationships, and the gorgeous writing had me slithering through this book slower to enjoy it for longer. I always know a book has me where it wants me as soon as I stop counting pages. Xiefeng is an antihero I could get behind. She’s jealous, selfish, righteous – but her desires, suffering, and efforts and so strong, I rooted for her all the same. For a writer to make me like someone who is morally grey is a kind of magic I want to understand more. There’s no crescendo for this book. No huge twist or gut-wrenching moment which turns the book back on itself. That’...